Thank you for being part of this movement!
We are excited to push things forward together and create this long-awaited and much needed space for ourselves in the community.
Here are some more details about the Women of Colour Wellness project in Brighton.
ETHOS- A Space to gather
- To feel empowered
- To practice self care
- To be ourselves
- To move
- To be still
- To feel solidarity
- To retreat
- To rest
- To feel whatever we are feeling
- To have a safe space to share our stories if we want to
- To cultivate community
To breathe easy.
No codes, masks or judgement.
An opportunity for healing.
WHY WOMEN OF COLOUR WELLNESS?
There exists a collective of blackness online, a global movement and community and sense of solidarity, yet in real life, often we have no choice but to retreat to our institutionalised worlds, often lacking the real life support network to hold us, or tools to empower ourselves to practice our own definition of self care.
As WOC, we often carry so much for others, yet when it comes to ourselves we are often last to be served.
Let´s create an intervention.
THE VISION + MORE ABOUT MY WORK
I´ve been sharing yoga and creativity classes, workshops and retreats in communities in the UK (primarily Brighton) and Norway for the last 6 years.
I´m passionate about creating and offering a programme specifically for self-identifying WOC to feel empowered, connect, thrive, and find a path of healing that they define and that suits them.
I feel lucky to have had support on my mission and encouragement to persevere with my vision for the project in Brighton, and i´m grateful for the enthusiasm from collectives in London, Lauren (Black Girl in Om) and WOC in Brighton who show interest, ideas and desires for this to happen.
AN OPPORTUNITY FOR HEALING
I am interested in people empowering themselves to find what works for them to feel better. I believe everybody should have access to techniques that might help them to feel more spacious, so they can adapt and use them whenever they need. I want to share what I have acquired in the hope that it might be useful to someone.
It doesn´t matter how you look, what you can do or can´t do. All are welcome and invited to participate.
Important to mention: i am not interested in snootiness or trying to pretend I have all the answers. I am human and need this space to exist and to breathe easy, as much as you!
It´s my hope that by taking time for self care, we might find some space to breathe easy, so we can be ready to go out into the world on our own and our collective missions.
We will start our programme with a regular creative movement session, based in central Brighton. Once we have space I will announce the details via email.In addition to that, with your help, I hope we can create a calendar of events, gathering in a space created together, working with others who want to contribute, and share a programme that includes the following elements and more:
- Yoga + creative movement guest teachers
- Self care techniques
- Writing workshops
- Art + creativity workshops
- Supper clubs
There will be a monthly theme for us to explore using these elements.
I hope it will be useful.
WE´RE LOOKING FOR COLLABORATORS AND CONTRIBUTORS - CAN YOU HELP?
* In this programme, I want to work with creatives, thinkers, doers, organisers, consultants, artists, fundraisers, writers, readers, dancers, polymaths – and anyone who is interested in being a part of this mission.
* In order to get this off the ground, access to space first and foremost is super urgent. Ideally for accessibility, we would like a space in central Brighton. .
* In the past, we have worked with all kinds of spaces to transform them, so our ideal prerequisites are: having heat, access to fresh air, a non-carpet floor, a decent toilet/changing area, access to a kitchenette, a plug socket and light. Can you or someone you know help?
* We want this programme to be affordable for participants, so we welcome sponsorship and funding opportunities so we can make this as accessible as possible.
* Caterers, chefs, restaurants, cafes - we would like to work with you too for our future supper club!
* Other organisations on a mission that might align, please reach out so we can connect and collaborate!
* We want to ensure the needs in the community are being met, so welcome your suggestions for themes, topics and things you need, and I will do my best to implement that into the project.
If this project is something you are interested in, whether as a participant or as a contributor, please get in touch with the form below.
With much warmth,